----

----
Dieses Projekt wurde mit Unterstützung der Europäischen Kommission finanziert. Die Verantwortung für den Inhalt dieser Veröffentlichung trägt allein der Verfasser; die Kommission haftet nicht für die weitere Verwendung der darin enthaltenen Angaben.

Sonntag, 9. März 2014

Pia May interviews her 78 – year – old grandmother

P.: Where did you spend your childhood and which are your memories of that time?
G.: I lived with my parents in Northern Germany. It was very nice at home. We had a river behind our house in which we swam a lot.
P.: Would you describe an average day when you were at my age.
G.: We children had to help a lot at home and on the fields: collecting potatoes, milk the cows or bundle the corn. But we also played a lot: rounders, dodgeball, tennis and we learnt how to play the piano.
P.: If you compare your and my leisure time activities, what would you say?
G.: Our lives were quiet whereas life today has become ever so hectic.
P.: Describe your school life.
G.: In my time teachers were much stricter. Today, I suppose, they are sometimes too lax. I don’t know which way is the better one though.
P.: How were you educated?
G.: In former times education was quite severe, in general. As to my family, however, we lived in a more liberal way. Today children are educated in a free way, too. My parents did not expect me to follow them blindly, and so I enjoyed my personal freedom.
P.: What about gender roles?
G.: At school, I cannot remember any differences between the sexes. In society, men had a greater authority. I was even allowed to bring a male friend home.
Especially shortly after the War, religious denominations - being a Catholic or a Protestant –
played an important role. There were even separate school which now is the exception.
P.: Were people in your youth more socially inclined or more helpful?
G.: No, I don’t think so.
P.: Did or does your family mean a lot to you?
G.: Yes, this is the case. I had a very good relationship with my parents.
P.: How important were material things for you?
G.: Social aspects, values and good manners have always been more important to me than material things.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen